1. How did you get into the sport of triathlon?
I had enjoyed running for a while, however, I was not able to run as often as I wanted - if I ran everyday then my legs would ache - I was tempting injury. I discovered cycling to cross train. Well, once I had two out of the three I decided to look into triathlons. Considering that I had never really swam any kind of distance, this was a daunting task. I was pretty scared of the open water swim. If fact my first two open water swims were in races (almost a year apart) and both were horrible – complete panic.
2. What are you hoping to get out of your Ironman experience?
I am very goal oriented. I like to challenge myself. Setting the bar high and trying to improve incrementally is exciting to me. The Ironman race will allow me to know that I can achieve almost anything – mentally or physically – if I set my mind to it.
3. What motivates you to get up in the morning?
I like to hit the ground running. To be better than I was yesterday.
To try and to improve. I really believe that if you are not going forward you are really going backwards. You go backwards fast when lying on the couch or bed.
4. What has been your biggest accomplishment in your triathlon career?
Setting the goal of my first triathlon (Sunfish 07/07/2007 – my birthday) and completing that goal.
5. Who is your favorite athlete and why?
I am not a big fan of many sports stars. I don’t believe in celebrity. I went to elementary school with a bunch of kids whose parents were professional baseball players (Texas Rangers) and realized they were just parents. Maybe they had a little more money but... I also do not the the salaries were what they are today. They had nice houses but not MTV Cribs. With celebrity you place these people, and they are people, on high pedestals and they disappoint. However, I have been a fan of Muhammad Ali for a long time (I love the documentary When We Were Kings) and more recently Jens Voight and Chrisse Wellington (she has a great story). If you have time these video's are great (I watched them on the trainer the other day) -
To play along:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by giving you five questions. (I get to pick the questions.)
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.