Ironman 101 has moved to a new domain. Now Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger!

Please click here to continue reading - Power Multisport.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Sea World and the zoo

I have been in Austin the last couple of days. With my sister and her family moving to Australia at the end of March (two weeks) there is a lot of stuff to be done. But first, we went on a mini vacation to Sea World and the Zoo.

Before we left for Sea World my brother-in-law and I went for a 7 mile run. Due to the time change it was very dark but we were able to meet our goals. The entire run was conversational for me and I enjoyed the change – Austin is very hilly. After the run we loaded up the van and the six of us headed south to San Antonio.

I have not been to an amusement park in about 5 years. The shows were fun and the rides were good. The Shamu show was slow and there was a brief mention of the trainer recently killed. Because of this, none of the trainers out in the water at all. There were no great human / whale acrobatics. Still, it was neat seeing the whales.

Now the roller coasters were a lot of fun. Even though the park was crowded (spring break) the lines for the big rides were short. I road “The Great White” and “The Steel Eel” at least a dozen times with my oldest niece Isabelle. We had a blast.

We left the park and had dinner in the hotel room then went swimming. They have fire pits outside in the courtyard at the hotel and the kids could roast s’mores. My brother-in-law, Isabelle and I went back to Sea World to ride a few more roller coasters. This time there really was no line at all. We could ride each roller coaster and not even have to get off – we could stay seated and ride it again and again.
We rode the rides until we were sick. Riding a roller coaster back to back to back, etc – takes its toll on the stomach.

I did some light strength training at the hotel fitness center and then we headed to the San Antonio Zoo. I was fun seeing all of the animals. It has been a prolific year in the monkey houses – there were babies everywhere. After the zoo we did the river walk and ate lunch.

Once we got home it was time to start sorting, packing, moving and disposing.  The real work out is just beginning.

3 comments:

powermultisport
Fitness Anywhere: Make your body your machine.