Ironman 101 has moved to a new domain. Now Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger!

Please click here to continue reading - Power Multisport.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A little grouchy

Tuesday I had planned on doing a long pre-work bike ride. For some reason I thought that the group was getting together for another TT. I set out all of my gear and puffed up my tires. I knew that a time trial this close to the hard work out from the weekend would not produce good results – but I thought that I might ride the route anyway.

Five AM rolled around rather quickly and my legs were not recovered. I could not climb out of bed – there was no way that I would be at Jackson Stations by 5:45AM. I ran through my contingency plans – I could still get to the pool by 6:30AM and get an hour swim. Still rather lethargic I made it to the gym at 7:15AM – not enough time to do a swim. I went up stairs and did some abdominal exercises.

For lunch I had planned on doing an easy run for 6 or 7 miles. I got held up going to lunch so I switched to another swim – my legs were not recovered anyway. As I entered the natatorium I ran into Chris who was just leaving. We talked for just a minute and then I jumped into the pool. I did 2000 yards straight – nothing tough just racking up yards. Chris later spoke with Jodie after class and said that I looked worn out. He said that I looked like I needed some time off. Chris, okay proper name is Sports Physiology Dr. Chris – who always podiums at all the races, called me later in the day and asked when I took my last day off – It was Friday before the race. I told him that I had taken it easy after the weekend. I told him that I had only swum the past two days. Dr. Chris clearly stated that swimming and weight training were not days off. Chris said a day off is reading a book during lunch and just taking it easy all day long – tough words for me to hear. He also advised me about my diet and that I need more calories – not just any calories but carbohydrates.

It is so much easier for someone outside the situation to see things that you cannot see – I know when I am overdoing it – I get grouchy but I always push it just a little farther. Chris is very knowledgeable and I respect any advice that he offers. I’m glad I have friends looking after me! So, today, I am taking the day off even though I really want to go out to the lake tonight and have an easy swim – I was also planning on getting a run in after the swim.

So, I brought a book for lunch – I’ll take it easy today and hit it hard tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Good man, you need to rest every once in a while. All work and no play and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to accept what a rest day really is, but I find the further along I get in training the more I am enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete

powermultisport
Fitness Anywhere: Make your body your machine.