Ironman 101 has moved to a new domain. Now Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger!

Please click here to continue reading - Power Multisport.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Chris McCormack on the Wheaties Box

While I am not a big dry cereal eater (I am an oatmeal man) I did notice that the new Wheaties box is being promoted (I got an email about it). You know, this is the Wheaties box with Chris McCormack. From the email:

Not only is McCormack the first Ironman World Champion to be featured on a Wheaties box, he is now also the first athlete to be featured on the cover of the Wheaties FUEL box outside of the cereal’s elite co-creators.



You can get a $1 coupon for liking Wheaties on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Wheaties 


To tell you the truth, I actually think this is pretty neat. This has the potential to put triathlon into the focus of the mainstream – maybe just a little bit. However, while I was in Australia, I did notice that triathlon had a much bigger foot print. Now, there is no doubt that triathlon is still a second tier sport down under - well behind footie, lawn bowling and net ball.  On a side note they seem to call everything footie - soccer, rugby, Australian Rules Football, etc. 

But at least triathlon is not a fourth or even a fifth tier sport. I mean, there is more card playing on US TV than track and field, much less triathlon. I snapped this picture in a grocery store in Katoomba. We were refueling after a hike to the Ruined Castle. I did not need the box but I did want the picture.  I believe we got some fruit.




The question - If Chrissie Wellington would have competed and won Kona this year would she have been on the Wheaties box?

3 comments:

  1. Oh ya, my personal opinion, Wheaties and Wellington already agreed to terms, contracted was all drafted up, ready to sign if she crossed the finish line, I even bet their was a Wellington Box already in Kona, then she got sick and changed their plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool that they try to associate that "healthy" food with athletics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I read somewhere that Wheaties had planned on using a male triathlete for the box before the race...I might be wrong on that, but that is in my head because it ticked me off a little...I think it is awesome that a triathlete gets a Wheaties box though. Even though I am an oatmeal girl.

    ReplyDelete

powermultisport
Fitness Anywhere: Make your body your machine.