Ironman 101 has moved to a new domain. Now Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger!

Please click here to continue reading - Power Multisport.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Easy swimming on the taper


My fingers are crossed for a Sunday - if it is anything close I will be loving it! It cannot get any better than that - I might even have to pack my arm skins!

To relieve stress and anxiety I have decided to leave for the race on Thursday at noon. I had planned on leaving very early on Friday morning but realizing that I will lose an hour due to the time change that meant very early Friday morning – like 3AM Friday morning. Jodie had a cake decorating class scheduled for Thursday that did not end until 9PM – but she graciously decided to skip the class – she make take the class again since she already had to miss one other class due to a conference in Philadelphia. I think we are going to stop in Nashville for the night.

That being said I think that we will leave around lunch time on Thursday just after my class. Yes, I am actually taking classes this year. I have been talking about taking classes ever since I started working at the university 3 years ago. I am taking a computer programming class. It has not been quite what I expected so far – but I have only been to one class. In October I am taking an ‘Adventure Training’ class. It will teach land / water orienting, problem solving, etc. – they did not have these kinds of classes when I was in school!

For lunch I just did an easy swim. It was supposed to be a day off but I really did not know what to do with myself during lunch. The swim was as much social as it was exercise. I talked with Jen and Sheryl and then just swam easy. I did not even count laps or anything – just really easy swimming. I swam for 30 minutes and then called it a day.

Even though I am not training as much my appetite is through the roof. To help combat the hunger I have surrounded myself with lots of fruit. Yesterday, during the day, I had two toasted peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and 4 pluots (plum / apricot mix) and 4 bananas. I think I overdid it and I will try to be a little better today – actually I have to be better today – I ate most of my fruit for the week. I have a bag of carrots to take into work for today. That should help.

I went my Terry L’s house after work to pick up his 12 – 27 cassette that he said I could borrow. I always like to return things better than when I borrowed them so I was going to give his cassette are real good cleaning. I took the cassette out of the box and it had a mirror finish that you could eat off of! I thought that I took care of my equipment. Anyway I took my cassette off and cleaned each gear and went to put the 12 -27 cassette on – damn – I did not even think about it but the cassette was a 9 speed. Oh, well – the 27 gear was really just an insurance policy anyway. My 12 – 25 cassette went back on the bike. I am sure that I will be fine.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck this weekend, James - I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather report is 100 percent spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, I will be keeping an eye on all of you, this is your reward for all your hard work. Cant wait for the RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe the weather forecast? I have purposefully waited for the hottest, most miserable part of the day to run (in dark colors) to acclimate to running in the heat and we are going to have a cool race temperature. The amount of misery and pain inflicted on myself...oh well, what makes us stronger right.

    ReplyDelete

powermultisport
Fitness Anywhere: Make your body your machine.